Effectively procure raw materials and supplies for the manufacturing process, meeting or exceeding corporate objectives and customer expectations. Ensures materials, supplies and service are procured with the most favorable terms. Interacts with manufacturing and sales as well as with external customers and suppliers. Qualifies vendors, assists in evaluating bids, negotiates prices and terms for purchased goods and services.
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities (occupy approx. 95% of time)
- Orders raw materials and supplies to ensure timely delivery to meet customer requested ship dates
- Verifies that pricing is accurate on all purchase orders through purchase order acknowledgements from the suppliers
- Ensures the right materials are provided to Manufacturing as defined by Planning
- Ensures that inventory levels meet corporate objectives
- Commits material to jobs for production scheduling
- Provides timely and accurate communication of delivery schedules to Scheduling, Manufacturing, Planning, Customers, and Suppliers
- Monitors High Volume Materials, including reorder points/quantities, and coordinates reorders as needed
- Review material reorder points and reorder quantities and provides analysis to reset as appropriate
- Reviews aged inventory items to make recommendations for scrap, including researching items as needed
- Submits Supplier Corrective Actions (SCARs) and follows up as appropriate for root cause and credits
- Monitors and completes price verification requests – from Planning
- Appropriately ensures that minimum buy information is communicated and provides guidance on pricing
- Assists Purchasing manager with maintaining database of vendor pricing and information by material specification
- Investigates Sourcing options for special materials, supplies, and projects
- Participates on Weekly Purchasing Team call – exploring cost savings ideas and maintaining purchasing scorecard
- Provides primary Purchasing support for Flexible Packaging including all day to day purchasing activity
- Other duties as assigned
- Follows ISO SOPs as trained
Secondary Tasks and Responsibilities (occupy balance of time)
- Participates in quality improvement process and other miscellaneous projects as requested
- Backs up Purchasing Manager on day-to-day material sourcing requirements
- Understands general material specifications to provide day to day material sourcing guidance
Physical Job Demands
This position spends the majority of time at a desk working on the computer and telephone.
Skills/Abilities to Meet Job Requirements
Attention to detail; accurate with numbers and information; excellent analytical skills; good organizational skills; good communication skills; excellent problem-solving skills; good work ethic and ability to work within a team environment; ability to work with changing priorities and deadlines; familiar with PC and Windows-based programs, basic Microsoft Excel skills including formatting and use of formulas, and PSI software experience is preferred; technical strengths a plus.
Education and Experience Requirements
High school diploma or equivalent GED; secondary schooling or printing background helpful; narrow web flexographic label experience preferred.